Friday, February 4, 2011

Fondant Cake

So I went with a yellow fondant last night! I also flavored it. It was a hot sticky mess but actually turned out great and much more pliable than the stuff from the store.

Because I still have no kitchen table (long story!) I had a space of kitchen counter about 20 inches wide to roll the fondant out on - on top of wax paper which just kept moving all over the place...needless to say I could not roll it out enough to drape over the cake - so ended up putting it on in pieces, it looked awful the seams were terrible. Oh well long night - went to bed.


Today we went over to Trista's to make some cupcakes and finish this cake. After some running around to various craft stores we decided to get cracking on the cake. Still with no particular design in mind - Trista wanted to learn some flowers so I showed her the button flower and away she went! She was particularily good at getting the flowers out without damaging the petals (something I need to work on a lot). Basically she created all of the elements of the cake and I put them on. In the end it turned out amazing.

Trista also youtubed some instructions to make a gum paste/fondant bow and tried it out and it turned out fabulous. We then painted over it with a water/vodka mix to keep it shiny - almost metallic looking. I'm quite impressed with this cake - best one so far..so here it is!!!


The fondant covered disaster before decorating:



and the final product




No comments:

Post a Comment